Complete Guide to Staying Fit and Healthy
Who doesn’t want to be fit and healthy? But if it was an easy thing, everyone around would have been in their best health. Enjoying a healthy life requires change that may not be easy and take lot of dedication and hard work. You will have to commit to healthier lifestyle, but every bit of it is going to be worth it.
Fit people are not fit because of their special genetic makeup or because of their good luck. Ask them and they will tell you that they are fit because they have decided to be fit by adopting healthy habits that involve staying active, eating nutritious foods and sacrificing certain foods that may sabotage their entire efforts.
Staying healthy and maintaining a healthy life brings along scores of benefits, but my not be very easy or convenient to follow. In fact at several occasions you may find it challenging to follow through, for example after a long tiring day you may not feel in your best state to head out to the gym. If you have spent your life eating unhealthy foods, you may find it very taxing to give up those urge all day long.
Complete Guide to Staying Fit and Healthy
Though any amount of exercise is good for your health, you should at least aim for 30 minutes to one hour of exercise. Exercise is crucial for being fit and healthy. Exercise should be a regular part of your day just like bathing, eating and sleeping. Strength training helps build muscles, take advantage of resting metabolism, and burn fat. Stretching helps avert risk of injury by increasing the flexibility and cardiovascular exercise helps strengthen heart and lungs. Here are some exercising tips to help you stay healthy and get the maximum out of your workout regime.
Don’t miss your exercise routine
– Exercise even when you only have 15 minutes. A quick gym routine is better than not doing it at all. If you are running short of time to get to your gym but have only 15 minutes to spare, do jumping jack.
Invest in a fitness tracker
– Fitness trackers don’t come cheap, but they can make you walk more, especially if you are the kind of person who is driven by goals. You are going to be surprised how little you walk if you have a desk job. In a day you should ideally walk 10,000 steps, but if most of your day is spent walking from your desk to meeting room and back to your desk, you will probably only rack up about 4,000 to 5,000 steps, if you are lucky.
Make it interesting
– If you don’t find your workout regime interesting, chances are you will not be able to stick to it for long. To make your workout time interesting, you can mix up your routine. You can do yoga one day, light jog the next, interval training the following day and so on and so forth.
Workout at home
– If you don’t have a gym close to your place but have cable, you can workout at home. Cable television comes with a whole slew of secret workout classes that you can do on demand. It’s an excellent option when you want to be active but don’t want to step out of your house.
Get your heart pumping
– Any type of regular physical activity with a potential to get your heart pumping is good. That means any activity you choose should make you breath harder and increase your heart rate. Some of the good examples of aerobic activity include basketball, swimming and running.
Eating the healthy way
Never skip your breakfast – Healthy breakfast starts your day on a positive note. Not only it helps kick start your metabolism after a night long fasting, it also ensure you have energy and fuel for optimal mental and physical performance. Breakfast also helps maintain stable blood sugar levels and a healthy weight since you are less likely to overindulge later in the day.
Stop over eating
– In a study that studied people from several countries found that the oldest Japanese people stop eating the moment they feel they are 80% full. In another study by researchers from St. Louis University, found that eating less helps you age slower.
Get more of fruits and vegetables
– If you are eating fewer than three servings of fruits and vegetables a day, it can take a toll on your health on a long run. Fruits and vegetables are the nutritional powerhouse. They are densely packed with fiber, vitamins, phytochemicals, antioxidants and minerals. Having at least recommended amount of fruits and vegetables can lower your risk of developing heart disease by as much as 76 percent and may even cut down your risk of breast cancer. Besides inflammation-fighting and circulation boosting powers of antioxidants will help keep wrinkles at bay.
Drink good amount of water
– Most part of your body is made of water. Juices, smoothes, milk, water and beverages helps to keep your body hydrated. However fresh, clean and plain water is the best and healthiest beverage for keeping your body well hydrated and healthy. It is also the most natural cleanser for your organs and digestive system. Keeping your body well hydrated is also important for healthy brain function and to also flush out toxins out through the skin.
Things to keep in mind to stay fit and healthy
Several years of working in health industry has taught me one thing that people who are often thought to be blessed with special genetic make up are actually people who have adopted good habits. Here are few things that can help you stay healthy and love longer.
Kick your bad habits
– In a recent study it was found that four habits – smoking, drinking too much alcohol, not eating enough fruits and vegetables and not exercising can age you by as many as 12 years and can even hustle you into an early grave. While regular high intensity exercise can add up to four years to your life. Working out has positive effects on your heart, mind and metabolism. Moderate exercise for as little as 30- minutes can lower your risk of heart problems.
– Make it a point to visit your doctor at least once a year to make sure everything is fine. If you have insurance, these services are usually covered so take full advantage of your benefits. You should also remain vigilant about your body and if you observe something awry, get it checked out. Self-exams your breast or testicular and get suspicious moles checked out. Regular checkups will help you identify on time if there is some thing that needs immediate attention.
– Sleep has a tremendous impact on your physical and mental well being. Lack of sleep also adversely impacts metabolism, concentration, mood, motor skills, memory, stress hormones, immune system and even cardiovascular health. Sleep helps your body heal, repair and rejuvenate itself in a way that can’t happen when the person is awake.
Make time for friends and family
– Studies have proved that you may be at a greater risk of heart disease if you don’t have a strong network of friend and family. Loneliness is as dangerous as having high cholesterol or even smoking.
– Stress is not good for your health. It can cause myriad health problems including heart trouble and digestive problems. The easiest way to manage stress is to do what you love, exercise and meditation. When you spend time enjoying your hobby, it alleviates the harmful effects of stress on your body. Avoid overworking, take breaks and keep yourself surrounded with your friends, family and people who support you.
Steps to stay motivated to lead a fit and healthy life
It’s never an easy job to give away unhealthy habits and adopt healthier lifestyle. Here are few simple steps to help you stay motivated and fit for the rest of your life.
Set goals – Without a clear goal, you will never have an idea in what direction you are moving. However, having said that, it is also important to never overestimate your ability. It will only lead to disappointment when you fail. In fact studies show that small steps can go a long way in helping people stay fit and healthy.
Reward yourself – If you are meeting your goals and are staying committed to your fitness regime, there is no reason why you should not celebrate. In fact rewarding yourself in a healthy way will keep your spirits up and motivate you to move in right direction. You should also allow yourself to occasionally eat your favourite non-diet foods. This will help stave off cravings and give you something to work towards.
Fun activities – Exercising regularly will improve your mood and increase your energy. Fun activities are a great way to keep you motivated to exercise.
Support group – Invite people around you such as your friends and family to join you in the journey of health and fitness. Any moment you feel weak, they will serve as a support system and help you keep your motivation up. When you know others are counting on you, it is easier to exercise even when you are not feeling very motivated.
Focus on benefits – Remain focused on the benefits you derive from staying healthy, such as improved health and overall fitness. Chuck off any negative thoughts that may creep in your mind.
Track your progress – You will never reach your goals if you are not periodically measuring your progress. Take a big calendar and fill it with series of goals, for example how much of weight you are going to lose by certain date.
Plan your diet carefully – Regardless of whether you are working towards losing your weight or not, you should opt for a balanced diet that provides all the important nutrients your body needs to stay fit and healthy. A balanced diet will not only ensure good health, but is also pivotal for good mood, strong immune system and active mind.
I am happy that you have made a decision to adopt a healthy lifestyle and bring positive changes in your life. I hope this guide will help you to improve your quality of life through proper exercise regime and healthy diet. Staying fit and healthy is a choice that you have to make, put in effort, time and remain committed till you get there. In fact, healthy lifestyle is a journey rather than a destination. It might not be easy, but it will be worth it.